Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and the reality today

 

 

Drake taking a selfie in front of the Parthenon (Greek: Παρθενώνας), also called Temple of Athena, a former temple on the Acropolis dedicated to the goddess Athena, the patron god of Athens. Made of Pentelic marble, the temple was known for housing the massive statue of Athena made by the renowned sculptor Phidias. The structure also held the city's and Delian League's riches during the classical period. 
Antiquity: At the command of Perikles, the construction of Parthenon began in 447 BCE when the Athenian Empire was at the peak of its power. It was completed in 438 BCE, although decoration of the building continued until 432 BCE. In 429 BCE, whilst the plague was wreaking havoc in Athens, Perikles made it his mission to come to Parthenon and seek to please the gods. Instead, he met his end at the hands of the Cult of Kosmos's enforcer, Deimos. The worship of Athena continued on for nearly one millennium. However, parts of the temple was destroyed during the Sack of Athens in 267 CE by the Heruli. In 590, the Parthenon was converted into a Christian church dedicated to Maria Parthenos—the Virgin Mary who replaced Athena as the new patron protector of Athens. It became the fourth most important pilgrimage destination in the Byzantine Empire, after Constantinople, Ephesus, and Thessalonica.
Middle Ages: In 1204, Athens was occupied by the Latin Empire which turned the city into a Crusader duchy. During this period, the Parthenon was converted into a Roman Catholic cathedral of Our Lady. After the conquest of the Byzantine Empire by the Ottoman Empire in 1458, the church was transformed once again, this time into an Islamic mosque. In 1683, the Great Turkish War broke out between the Ottoman Empire and the Holy League organised by the Pope. The Parthenon was soon converted into a storehouse for gunpowder. In 1687, the Republic of Venice laid siege to Athens and during the siege, a cannon ball struck the Parthenon, blowing the roof apart and greatly damaging the walls, columns and metopes of the building.
In Assassin's Creed: Odyssey: Instead of its real marble pedimental sculptures, the Parthenon has the same fictional bronze pedimental sculptures depicting the Gigantomachy, the battle between the Giants and the Greek gods in Greek mythology that are also shared by other temples in game. Like many other temples in game, the Parthenon inaccurately has the metopes of the Temple of Zeus in Olympia which show the Labours of Hercules instead of its actual metopes. The central acroterion is based on a reconstruction of the central acroterion of the Parthenon, however, the corner acroteria reuse the model of the Naxian Sphinx.
 
The Erechtheion was an ancient Greek temple on the north side of the Acropolis Sanctuary in Athens. The most significant site of worship on the acropolis, the temple was known for its caryatids and was dedicated to the Greek gods Poseidon and Athena. In addition, it was also dedicated to Erechtheus and Kekrops, two legendary kings of Athens, the latter of whom was said to have been buried beneath the portico. The Olive Tree of Athena was located west of the temple. During the Peloponnesian War in Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey, the temple was visited by the Spartan misthios Kassandra. The Erechtheion is a landmark in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, situated on the Akropolis Sanctuary. The temple is an anachronism in the game as construction of the temple only began in 421 BCE, a year after the game's conclusion, and completed in 406 BCE. The model of the Porch of the Caryatids was also used in Assassin's Creed: Origins in an unnamed place of worship in the poor district of Alexandria.

 
The site was used as a site of worship to Athena Nike as early as the 6th century BCE by settlers from the Mycenaean period. Unfortunately, it was destroyed during the Graeco-Persian Wars. However, it was rebuilt during the Peloponnesian War as a temple. As Nike was the personification of victory, the Athenians hoped rebuilding it would bring glory to Athens. Historically, the Temple was built in c. 421 BCE, making its appearance in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey anachronistic.









 
Drake in Phidias’s workshop. When the workshop was discovered in 1954, it was then discovered the significant advancement of knowledge he had with his work for within were his tools, terracotta moulds and even evidence of his life there such as a cup inscribed with “I belong to Phidias”.