Remaining Nazi Sites in Berlin (2)

The Jewish Synagogue, shown three years after the war and today, was miraculously saved from destruction during Kristallnacht by- it was claimed at the time- the chief of the local police station, Wilhelm Krutzfeld. When he arrived at the scene, he presented the building charter showing that the synagogue had been opened by Otto von Bismark himself. Mindful of Hitler's admiration of Bismark, the forger of modern-day Germany, the mob dispersed and a fire brigade was able to save the building from destruction.  Since 1993 the training institute of the Landespolizei Schleswig-Holstein bears the name "Landespolizeischule Wilhelm Krützfeld". In fact, Heinz Knobloch had popularised the story that Wilhelm Krützfeld rescued the New Synagogue after having learned about the rescue from the report of an eyewitness, the late Hans Hirschberg. Hirschberg, a boy in 1938, observed the fire with his father, the tailor Siegmund Hirschberg, and recalled that his father and a police officer, who was one of his father's clients and whom Hans assumed to be the head of the police precinct, got into a conversation whilst the police officer was supervising the work of the fire brigade, about their experiences in the same sector of the front during the Great War. When Knobloch did research for his book Der beherzte Reviervorsteher about the rescue of the New Synagogue, he learned that the head of the precinct was Krützfeld and identified him as the officer. But Krützfeld was never conscripted in that war. After Knobloch's book appeared another neighbour, Inge Held, Hirschberg, and Hirschberg's sister in Israel all confirmed that the rescuer was in fact Otto Bellgardt. Senior Lieutenant Wilhelm Krützfeld, head of the local police precinct and Bellgardt's superior, later covered up for him. Berlin's police commissioner Graf Helldorf only verbally reprimanded Krützfeld for doing so and has since often been mistakenly identified as the rescuer of the New Synagogue. 

Inside the synagogue in 2017. After the effects of the fire had been removed, the New Synagogue had been able to be used for worship services again until April 1939. The dome had to be overpainted with camouflage paint because of the threat of air raids. After a last service in the little prayer room on January 14, 1943, the Wehrmacht took over the building and set up a uniform camp here. During the night of November 23, 1943, the synagogue suffered serious damage during British air raids during the Second World War. Further damage was added to the building structure, after the war, the ruin was used as a supplier of building materials.  After the end of the war, the few surviving Jews of the city founded a new Jewish community based in the administrative building of the Synagogue in Oranienburger Straße to both create suitable conditions for Jewish life in Berlin and, on the other hand, to prepare the emigration for those who did not wish to remain. In the summer of 1958 the partially destroyed building was destroyed because of the risk of collapse and on the grounds that a reconstruction was not possible. Only the buildings on the street remained - as a memorial against war and fascism. It wasn't until after the fall of the Berlin Wall that the reconstruction started on Oranienburgerstrasse. In May 1995, the reconstructed synagogue was finally completed. Inside is an "historical" black-and-white photo captioned "The New Synagogue in Flames". A closer examination of photography and historical research led Heinz Knobloch to the conclusion that the synagogue in the photo did not correspond to its actual state in 1938 but had been clearly retouched in the post-war period.

The interior in 1866 and after its gutting in 1938.

My students in front during our 2017 school trip comparing the postwar damage. 

As late as 1935, the Berlin tourist map issued by the Pharus firm marked the presence of the New Synagogue in Oranienburgerstraße with a miniature depiction of the building, just as it did other key attractions like the Brandenburg Gate and the Berlin Cathedral. Stars of David pinpointed the locations of other synagogues nearby. In the 1936 edition, not only had the building vanished, so too had any indication that synagogues still existed in the area. The physical destruction of the synagogues that was to follow in 1938 was thus preceded by their symbolic disappearance from tourist literature. Yet there is no evidence to suggest that these changes occurred as a result of direct intervention on the part of the regime. Map publishers were instead reacting to the vague command to work in tune with the ideals of National Socialism.

Plaque on the wall of the building exhorting never to forget. Today the New Synagogue houses the Centrum Judaicum, dedicated to documenting Jewish culture and acting as a bridge between eastern and western European Jewry.
The Jewish Hospital used by the Gestapo from 1941-43 as an assembly point for Jews being deported. Once a top Berlin facility, it gradually became a clearinghouse for Jews facing transport to the camps. The Nazis apparently wanted the Jews healthy before sending them off to die. According to its website, it "is the only institution in the whole of Germany to survive the Nazi terror and is the oldest still-existing establishment founded on a concept developed by people of Jewish belief." This hospital was the subject of the book Refuge in Hell: How Berlin's Jewish Hospital Outlasted the Nazis by Daniel Silver, a lawyer and former general counsel to the CIA.

Rotes Rathaus
Berlin city hall in 1937 during Berlin's 700th anniversary, decked with swastikas. This is the site where Hermann Göring married Emmy Sonneman on April 10, 1935, with Hitler acting as best man. The building was heavily damaged by Allied bombing in World War II and rebuilt to the original plans between 1951 and 1956. The Neues Stadthaus, which survived the bombing and had formerly been the head office of Berlin's municipal fire insurance Feuersozietät in Parochialstraße served as the temporary city hall for the post-war city government for all the sectors of Berlin until September 1948. Following that time, it housed only those of the Soviet sector. The reconstructed Rotes Rathaus, then located in the Soviet sector, served as the town hall of East Berlin, while the Rathaus Schöneberg was seat of the West Berlin Senate. After German reunification, the administration of reunified Berlin officially moved into the Rotes Rathaus on 1 October 1991.
The fiercest fighting broke out in the city's centre on April 29. The Town Hall was assaulted by the 1008th Rifle Regiment (commander Colonel V.N. Borisov) and the 1010th Regiment (commander Colonel M.F. Zagorodsky) of the 266th Rifle Division.
Captain M.V. Bobylev's battalion was set the mission of breaking through to the Town Hall and capturing it jointly with Major M.A. Alexeyev's battalion supported by tanks and self-propelled artillery. Our men were met by such a strong avalanche of fire that further advance along the street was simply impossible.
It was decided to break into the Town Hall through the walls by breaching them with explosives. Under enemy fire, the sappers blew in the walls one by one. The smoke had not had time to disperse before assault groups rushed through the breaches and cleared the building adjacent to the Town Hall from the enemy after hand-to-hand fighting.
Tanks and self-propelled guns were committed to battle. Firing a few shots they smashed the heavy wrought-iron gates of the Town Hall, breaching the walls whilst setting up a smokescreen. The whole building was engulfed in think smoke.
Lieutenant K. Madenov's platoon was the first to break in. Privates N.P. Kondrashev., K.Ye. Kryutchenko, I.F. Kashpurovsky and others acted bravely together with the daring lieutenant. Every room was fought for.
Komsomol organiser of the 1008th Rifle Regiment's 1st Battalion, Junior Lieutenant K.G. Gromov, climbed up on the roof and, having thrown down the Nazi flag on the pavement, hoisted the Red Banner. Konstantin Gromov was granted the title Hero of the Soviet Union for heroism and courage displayed in these battles.       Marshall G. Zhukov, 1974
Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church

Between 1890 and 1905 and immediately after the war. Completed in 1895 by architect Franz Schwechten as a 'gift' to Germans from Kaiser Wilhelm II, serving as a memorial to his grandfather Wilhelm I. The church was partially destroyed during a bombing raid in 1943. Following the war, several different options for the church's redevelopment were considered, including the construction of a new church made from glass in the old church's ruins, and also its complete demolition and replacement with a new structure. Eventually it was decided to leave the ruined tower as a memorial to the futility of war, (or specifically to remember German civilian victims killed in British retaliatory bombings) and create a new church around it with a breathtakingly ugly building next to it for some reason. The new church was consecrated on May 25, 1962 - the same day as the new Coventry Cathedral. On Breitscheidplatz, its eastern terminus, the landmark Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche stands quiet and dignified amid the roar. Allied bombs left only the husk of the west tower intact; it now contains the Gedenkhalle (Memorial Hall) whose original ceiling mosaics and marble reliefs hint at the church’s pre-war opulence. The adjacent octagonal hall of worship, added in 1961, has intensely midnight-blue windows and a giant golden Jesus floating above the altar On 14 November 1940 the Germans obliterated the city centre of Coventry including its Gothic cathedral from the 14th and 15th century. Already in January 1941 the people of Coventry held mass again in the burnt out church, having rebuilt an altar from rubble, and using charcoaled beams as the holy cross and made a cross with three hand-forged nails they found in the rubble. On 7 January 1989, on the occasion of the inauguration of the Memorial Hall, the Nail Cross of Coventry was given to Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche as a gift where it remains as a reminder of peace and reconciliation.
 July 19, 1945 and standing in front and inside, next to the Cross of Coventry which has a prominent place in the Memorial Hall of Gedächtniskirche.  
At the dedication ceremony on September 1, 1895, the eve of the Day of Sedan, and my students in 2018. In fact, at the time of its dedication the entrance hall in the lower section had not yet been completed; that part of the church was not opened and consecrated until February 22, 1906.
Goebbels, writing the article “Rund um die Gedächtniskirche,” for the January 23, 1928 edition of Der Angriff, described the area in which
[i]n the middle of this turmoil of the metropolis the Gedächtniskirche stretches its narrow steeples up into the grey evening. It is alien in this noisy life. Like an anachronism left behind, it mourns between the cafés and cabarets, condescends to the automobiles humming around its stony body, and calmly announces the hour to the sin of corruption.  Walking around it are many people who perhaps have never gazed up at its towers. There is the snobby flaneur in a fur coat and patent leather; the worldly lady, garçon from head to toe with a monocle and smoking cigarette, taps on high heels across its walkways and disappears into one of the thousands of abodes of delirium and drugs that cast their screaming lights seductively into the evening air.  That is Berlin West: The heart turned to stone of this city. Here in the niches and corners of cafés, in the cabarets and bars, in the Soviet theatres and mezzanines, the spirit of the asphalt democracy is piled high. Here the politics of sixty-million diligent Germans is conducted. Here one gives and receives the latest market and theatre tips. Here one trades in politics, pictures, stocks, love, film, theatre, government, and the general welfare. The Gedächtniskirche is never lonely. Day plunges suddenly into night and night becomes day without there having been a moment of silence around it.  The eternal repetition of corruption and decay, of failing ingenuity and genuine creative power, of inner emptiness and despair, with the patina of a Zeitgeist sunk to the level of the most repulsive pseudoculture: that is what parades its essence, what does its mischief all around the Gedächtniskirche.
 Return of Evil to Merkel's Germany  
Comparing the scene during the Christmas market of 1929 and 2016 after the latest example of terror in Merkel's Germany with the church providing the latest backdrop for Merkel-era terrorism as another of her migrants from the one million she has allowed to enter the country, mostly without any screening or background checks, hijacked an HGV and killed the driver before turning lights off and driving the stolen lorry into shoppers at a Christmas market at 40mph killing 12 and injuring 48.

Plötzensee Gaol (Strafgefängnis Plötzensee)

Less than two weeks after Col. Stauffenberg’s bomb had nearly killed Hitler, eight of his principal co-conspirators stood show trials at the Volksgerichtshof before Roland Freisler. The outcome, of course, was foreordained as orders had come down from on high to make the deaths as degrading as possible; this batch, convicted August 7-8, was hanged naked that same day here at Berlin’s Plotzensee Prison on thin cord and suspended from meathooks whilst the cameras rolled. From what I have managed to read, the executioner went out of his way to make the ordeal as degrading as possible, a task he apparently relished. The resulting film was delivered to Hitler’s bomb-damaged Polish outpost for his amusement, and used as a warning to army officers forced to watch.
The eight killed in this way were Robert Bernardis, Albrecht von Hagen, Paul von Hase, Erich Hoepner, Friedrich Karl Klausing, Helmuth Stieff, Erwin von Witzleben and Peter Graf Yorck von Wartenburg. Hundreds more would follow, both at Plotzensee and throughout the Reich where persons distantly connected to the plotters and various miscellaneous resistance figures were swept up in the purge.
The prison was built between 1869 and 1879 near Lake Plötzensee in Charlottenburg off Saatwinkler Damm. During the Nazi era, over 2,500 people were executed including members of the Red Orchestra (Rote Kapelle), Kreisau Circle (those accused of the plot against Hitler's life on 20 July 1944 at the Wolfsschanze), Czechoslovakian resistance fighters, and various others declared to be 'enemies of the state' by the Volksgerichtshof ("People's Court").  
At the entrance has been built this memorial wall "[t]o the Victims of Hitler's Dictatorship of the Years 1933–1945."

Once the verdicts had been pronounced, the condemned men were taken off, many of them to Plötzensee Prison in Berlin. On Hitler’s instructions they were denied any last rites or pastoral care (though this callous order was at least partially bypassed in practice). The normal mode of execution for civilian capital offences in the Third Reich was beheading. But Hitler had reportedly ordered that he wanted those behind the conspiracy of 20 July 1944 ‘hanged, hung up like meat- carcasses’. In the small, single-storey execution room, with whitewashed walls, divided by a black curtain, hooks, indeed like meat-hooks, had been placed on a rail just below the ceiling. Usually, the only light in the room came from two windows, dimly revealing a frequently used guillotine. Now, however, certainly for the first groups of conspirators being led to their doom, the executions were to be filmed and photographed, and the macabre scene was illuminated with bright lights, like a film studio. On a small table in the corner of the room stood a table with a bottle of cognac – for the executioners, not to steady the nerves of the victims. The condemned men were led in, handcuffed and wearing prison trousers. There were no last words, no comfort from a priest or pastor; nothing but the black humour of the hangman. Eye-witness accounts speak of the steadfastness and dignity of those executed. The hanging was carried out within twenty seconds of the prisoner entering the room. Death was not, however, immediate. Sometimes it came quickly; in other cases, the agony was slow – lasting more than twenty minutes. In an added gratuitous obscenity, some of the condemned men had their trousers pulled down by their executioners before they died. And all the time the camera whirred. The photographs and grisly film were taken to Führer Headquarters. Speer later reported seeing a pile of such photographs lying on Hitler’s map-table when he visited the Wolf’s Lair on 18 August. SS-men and some civilians, he added, went into a viewing of the executions in the cinema that evening, though they were not joined by any members of the Wehrmacht. Whether Hitler saw the film of the executions is uncertain; the testimony is contradictory.

 Kershaw Hitler
Once inside Plötzensee, the prisoners were allowed only time to change into prison garb. One by one, in accordance with prison drill procedures, they crossed the courtyard in wooden shoes, under the ever-present gaze of a camera, and entered the execution chamber through a black curtain. Here, too, a camera recorded their every step as they arrived and were led to the back of the chamber to stand under hooks attached to a girder running across the ceiling. Floodlights brilliantly illuminated the scene. A few observers were standing around: the public prosecutor, prison officials, photographers. The executioners removed the prisoners handcuffs, placed short, thin nooses around their necks, and stripped them to the waist. At a signal, they hoisted each man aloft and let him down on the tightened noose, slowly in some cases, more quickly in others. Before the prisoner's death throes were over, his trousers were ripped off him... Every detail was recorded on film, from the first wild struggle for breath to the final twitches.
Hitler had already "eagerly devoured" the arrest reports, information on new groups of suspects, and the statements recorded by interrogators. Now, on the very night of the first trials and executions, the film of the proceedings arrived at the Wolf's Lair for the amusement of the Führer and his guests. The putsch, he announced to his assembled retinue, was "perhaps the best thing that could have happened for our future." He could not get enough of watching his foes go to their doom. Days later, photographs of the condemned men dangling from hooks still lay about the great map table in his bunker. As his horizons shrank on all sides, Hitler took great satisfaction from this, his last great triumph.
Fest (302-3) Plotting Hitler's Death: The Story of the German Resistance
 The execution chamber at Plötzensee Prison showing the guillotine that was used to behead most victims until the sheer number of executions during the Third Reich made it impractical. Today there is a memorial inside the gaol commemorating those executed by the Nazis, dedicated on September 14, 1952. All that remains now is the execution shed, a small brick building with two rooms, where the victims were either hanged or beheaded. Cadavers of the condemned would be delivered to the anatomical institute at Humboldt University (below) to be used for dissection under supervision of Professor Stieve.
(translated by Pete26 at Axis History Forum)
The severed head fell into the basket, eyes wide open. Because the body was not strapped to the guillotine bench, the body could move freely after decapitation. The torso reared up, the legs twitched and threw off the wooden clogs. The blood spurted out of the severed neck in a high arc into the drain.

In this place of execution, everything represented the power and glory of the Nazi state. The executioner and his three assistants in black suits, the prosecutor and pastor in back robes, the clerks in green uniforms, the prison doctor in a white coat, the guests in uniform. On the table were two candles in tall candle holders. At this place of death ruled law and order, and each step was determined by the protocol. For the guests there were tickets and a note: "At the execution site the German greeting (= Hitler's salute) is to be avoided." The condemned were expected to behave according to the protocol too : "Calm and composed." Only rarely did the condemned fight back. Says protestant pastor Hermann Schrader:"I remember no one who has cried, screamed, or resisted."

From the command "Executioner, do you duty" to " Mr Prosecutor, the verdict is enforced", it took only 20 to 25 seconds in peacetime, and during the war only 7 or even 4 seconds, to carry out the execution. For every execution, a form A5 has been filled out. Of many of over 3,000 who died in this place there is not even a photograph. The oldest victim was a worker 83 years old, the youngest just 17. Forty one couples were executed here and they were not even allowed to say last words to each other. Mothers, who gave birth while in prison, were not spared. A total of 250 women were beheaded.

An old shoemaker cut the hair of the condemned short the night before the execution to expose the neck for the blade. The old man did his duty without emotion and with some kind of satisfaction. For each police sergeant who led the condemned from the cell block to the execution shed, there was a reward of eight cigarettes per person. The executioner's assistants (one was a blacksmith by former profession) always threw two corpses into one coffin. Because a person without the head takes up less space, the coffins were 20 centimetres shorter than usual and sprinkled with sawdust to soak up the blood. And what happened to the guillotine? It was dismantled and delivered to the administration of the Soviet occupation zone shortly after the war.
The Regionaldirektion Berlin-Brandenburg der Bundesagentur für Arbeit as it appeared when it served as the administration building for Fritz Todt's Armaments Ministry and today, where it serves as the state labour department.  The building dates from 1938 when the architect Hans Fritzsche was commissioned by the Reichsarbeitsministerium to design a new service building for the Gauesamt of the Gaues Brandenburg. A site between Friedrichstraße and Charlottenstraße in the southern Friedrichstadt was chosen to serve as a location. The plot of approximately 70 metres in width and 110 metres high was originally to be built with commercial buildings. The building was eventually built in 1940 by Heilmann & Littmann. According to Matthias Donath, the Gauworkamt is a "typical example of the monumental architectural style which was preferred for official administrative buildings after 1933." The eagle remains unmolested, overlooking the capital still. The model for this design was the entrance spylon of the German pavilion designed by Albert Speer at the world exhibition in 1937.

Post office on Knesebeckstraße 95, showing Reichsadler above door
Built between 1934 and 1940 to a design by Heinrich Wolff to house the central bank , the Reichsbank became the Finance Ministry and later headquarters of the Central Committee of the East German Communist Party. As shown in the photo on the right, there remains today a reichsadler designed by Kurt Schmidt-Ehmen over the doorway of the Finanzamt Charlottenburg on Bismarkstraße in Berlin, the swastika covered by the address number.
Adolf-Hitler-Platz , shown with German and Italian flags and, centre, decorated for the Olympic Games, 25 July 1936 is now Theodor-Heuss-Platz...
... but one wouldn't know it from Google maps which mislabelled Theodor-Heuss-Platz, in the western Charlottenburg district of Berlin, with the name it held from 1933 to 1945: Adolf-Hitler-Platz.  Google couldn't explain the error when approached by German mass-circulation daily B.Z., which first reported the story, but a Google representative said they were looking into the matter. The square had been returned to its current name by 9 p.m. on Thursday night.  The square was originally called Reichskanzlerplatz when it was constructed in the early 1900s. In April of 1933 it was renamed Adolf-Hitler-Platz, which it retained until the Nazis were defeated. The square's name returned to Reichskanzlerplatz from 1947 to 1963, when it was given the name of the first federal president of Germany, Theodor Heuss.

 The Charlottenburger Tor then and now and, on the right, with Canadian troops from Les Fusiliers Mont-Royal on July 14, 1945. During the course of the Nazi Welthauptstadt Germania plans, Hitler's chief architect Albert Speer in 1937 ordered the Charlottenburger Chaussee road widened to a "East-West-Axis". To enable a continuous view on street level, the bridge was flattened and broadened, while the candelabra and the porticoes were dismantled and moved further apart to a distance of 108 feet. Charlottenburg Gate and its surrounds were heavily damaged during the war and the final Battle of Berlin, when in April 1945 forces of the Polish 1st Infantry Division, pushing eastwards to the Berlin city centre, fought against retiring Wehrmacht troops.

The Funkturm and Ausstellungshallen in Charlottenburg during the 1936 Olympics and today

Haus der Jugend
The Haus der Jugend at Reinickendorfer Straße 55 on Nauener Platz
The former Haus der Reichsjugendführung- The Reich Youth Leadership- was established after the Nazi seizure of power in March 1933, in order to guarantee the ideological orientation of the German youth and thus to secure the future rule of the Nazis. The Reich Youth Leader stood at the head of the Hitler Youth.  Baldur von Schirach was the first Reich Youth Leader, eventually replaced on August 8, 1940 by his deputy Artur Axmann. Tasks of the Reich Youth Leadership were the Gleichschaltung the existing youth associations, the political and ideological indoctrination of German youth with the aim of educating convinced National Socialists and the control and suppression of deviant from the Nazi ideal youth cultures.  After the seizure of power, the Nazi regime tolerated no other youth associations in addition to the Hitler Youth. The other groups were dissolved, unless they volunteered. One of the largest of these groups was the "Bündische Jugend" - a collective term for youth groups influenced by the youth movement in the 1920s. The young people came mainly from bourgeois classes. Common to the groups was the idea of self-determination ("youth educates youth"), as well as joint actions such as hiking and camping, playing music and singing . A strong bond to home and nature showed in particular the two dominant directions, the Wandervogelbewegung and the Boy Scouts.

After the war the building was renamed the  Zentralausschusses der SPD and nationalised, and after the forced union of the political parties KPD and SED in 1946 it was turned into the main quarter of the SED party leadership and from then on called the "Haus der Einheit”- note the portrait of Stalin above the entrance. The first and only President of the DDR Wilhelm Pieck as well as Prime Minister Otto Grotewohl had their offices here. This was also where the Stalinist party model for the SED was worked on, where the party was “cleansed” from critics and where politically justified death penalties were pronounced against regime opponents. Another event defining the history of this building were the protests on June 17th in 1953, when protesters from the national uprising gathered mainly here as well as in front of the “Haus der Ministerien.” Today it is named Soho House, located at Torstraße 1 on the corner of Prenzlauer Allee. 
Children playing on a Pz.Kw.-Turm Panther in 1945 from Hans-Christian Adam's Berlin: Portrait of a City and the same building behind today.
The Reichsadler remains on the front façade of the Amtsgericht in the Berlin suburb of Wedding.

Reichspolizeischule für Leibesübungen von Schirmer/Götze Hohenzollernring 
Schlußstein reichsadler dating from 1939/40 above the portal of the Reich police school at Hohenzollernring 124-125.
 The Nazi-era reliefs on both sides of the portal entrance

 Nazi-era Eagle at the Siemens Ehrenmal

Joseph Wackerle reichsadler dating 1935

Denkmal der nationalen Erhebung
Reichsadler dating from 1935 by Max Esser at Lüdenscheider Weg 2-4 near Haselhorster dam within a children's playground.

German Reich Railways Central Office
Through Gleichschaltung, the Nazis placed the rail network under direct government control on 10 February 1937, adding swastikas to the Hoheitsadler on the railcars. Here, at the back of the central office of the Deutsche Reichsbahn, is the stone emblem- a winged wheel- although the swastika relief at the base has been removed.
The chemist's on Potsdamer Platz in 1941 and today
Located on Hermannplatz, where Kreuzberg meets Neukolln, the Karstadt department store was one of the most revolutionary buildings to be constructed in Berlin before the War. Opened in 1929 as Europe's biggest department store, it had its own underground station and art deco twin towers that were strikingly reminiscent of a Manhattan skyscraper. Wartime bombs left little of its original grandeur intact, yet it was promptly rebuilt and is still one of Berlin's most popular department stores. The ϟϟ used its twin towers as an observation post as four separate Soviet armies entered the city.
Petty crime skyrocketed as the inhabitants of Berlin turned to looting as a survival strategy. One of the looters' targets was the huge Karstadt department store on Hermannplatz. Thousands of people crammed into Karstadt, grabbing everything in sight but especially food and warm clothing. The store supervisors eventually let them get away with whatever food they could find, though they tried to prevent them taking anything else. Later, after driving the remaining civilians out, the ϟϟ, rumoured to have had 29 million marks' worth of supplies in the basement, dynamited the store to prevent the Russians from appropriating its contents.
Only one wing of the original building survives, on the southwest corner as seen in the photo above.
There has been a dramatic account of the looting of the Karstadt department store in the Hermannplatz, where queuing shoppers had been blown to pieces during the first artillery bombardment on 21 April. According to this story, ϟϟ troops allowed civilians to take what they wanted before they blew the place up. The explosion was said to have killed many over-eager looters. But in fact when the ϟϟ Nordland Division took over the store several days later, they did not want to blow it up. They needed Karstadt's twin towers as observation posts to watch the Soviet advance on Neuk6lln and the Tempelhof aerodrome... The twin towers of the Karstadt department store provided excellent observation posts for watching the advance of four Soviet armies - the 5th Shock Army from Treptow Park, the 8th Guards Army and the 1st Guards Tank Army from Neukolln and Konev's 3rd Guards Tank Army from Mariendorf.
The Palast Hotel before and after the war and in its current incarnation
Eichhornstraße in the 1930s and today, near Potsdamerplatz
Two underground statios then and now. Left: Opened as "Hasenheide" in 1924, the name changed to "Kaiser-Friedrich-Platz" in 1933 and to "Gardepionierplatz" in 1939. In 1947 the station received the name Südstern. Right: Frankfurter Tor station is situated under Frankfurter Tor, a large square. Built in 1930 it, was first named Petersburger Strasse. After the war it was named Besarinstrasse (Besarin was the first Soviet commander of Berlin). In 1958 it was again renamed to Frankfurter Tor.
An IS-2 heavy tank ( the IS for “Iosif Stalin”), dubbed the “Tank of the Victory," at Proskauerstraße during the advance down Frankfurterallee. The IS-2 was the first production model and mounted a long-barrel 122-mm gun and was in service until the late 1960s. A triumphal arch would later be set up in Frankfurter Allee, which was later to become one of the showpieces of Stalinist architecture.

A Sturmgeschütz III (StuG III), Germany's most-produced armoured fighting vehicle during the war, waiting on Invalidenstrasse for the Red Army to arrive.
When General Krebs had finally returned to the bunker that afternoon with General Chuikov’s demand for unconditional surrender Hitler’s party secretary had decided that his only chance for survival lay in joining the mass exodus. His group attempted to follow a German tank, but according to Kempka, who was with him, it received a direct hit from a Russian shell and Bormann was almost certainly killed. Artur Axmann, the Hitler Youth leader, who had deserted his battalion of boys at the Pichelsdorf Bridge to save his neck, was also present and later deposed that he had seen Bormann’s body lying under the bridge where the Invalidenstrasse crosses the railroad tracks. There was moonlight on his face and Axmann could see no sign of wounds. His presumption was that Bormann had swallowed his capsule of poison when he saw that his chances of getting through the Russian lines were nil. 
Soviet troops storming the underground station during the climactic Battle of Berlin and my students during our 2011 school trip
The  former Reichspostministerium on Leipziger Straße. Under the Nazis it had authority over research and development departments in the areas of television engineering, high-frequency technology, cable (wide-band) transmission, meteorology, and acoustics (microphone technology). In 1942, the armed postal security service was subsumed into the ϟϟ; this was just one more step in the national socialisation of the Deutsche Reichspost. After war the Federal Ministry of Post and Telecommunications in West Germany as well as the Ministry of Postal and Telecommunications of the DDR took over the tasks for postal services. Fritz Kölle's eight-metre wide 'Adler' ('Eagle'), dating 1937, was placed at the façade of the Reichspostministerium.

Just after the war. The eponymous square is named after Fehrbellin, where in 1675 the Battle of Fehrbellin between Brandenburg-Prussia and the Swedish Empire took place. Its horseshoe shape was laid out in 1934 and is still surrounded by several administrative buildings of the Nazi era, including the former seat of the German Labour Front finished in 1943, today the Wilmersdorf town hall.
Entschädigungsbehörde in the Wilmersdorf district was built in 1935-36 by the architect Philipp Schaefer as an office complex for the Rudolf Karstadt department store chain; the Nazi-era reliefs are still present.
What's now Rathaus Wilmersdorf at Fehrbelliner Platz 4 was the site of the first British HQ from 1945 to 1953-  'Lancaster House' - which had earlier served as the the former centre of Nazi military administration.
The military train took the soldiers into Charlottenburg Station, which was their introduction to the city, if they were not lucky enough to fly into Gatow. British soldiers in Berlin wore a flash on their sleeve. It was a black circle rimmed with red – ‘septic arsehole’ they called it. British Control Commission’s headquarters in Berlin was in ‘Lancaster House’ on the Fehrbelliner Platz. George Clare described it as a ‘concave-shaped grey, concrete edifice’ in the style of Albert Speer. Under the British Control Commission there were detachments in each of the boroughs under British control, together with a barracks and an officers’ mess. There were messes all over the British Sector. When George Clare reappeared in officer’s garb on his second tour of duty, he was assigned to one on the Breitenbach Platz which was large and lacked social cachet, and resembled a Lyons Corner House. British Military Government was a large yellow building on the Theodor Heuss Platz. This was the former Adolf Hitler Platz in Charlottenburg, the name of which was changed to Reichskanzlerplatz until it was realised that Hitler too had been chancellor. On the other side of the square was the Marlborough Club, where officers could be gentlemen. For the Other Ranks there was the Winston Club.

From 1937 to 1938, the Schiller Theatre was extensively rebuilt for the city of Berlin by Paul Baumgarten. Baumgarten simplified the façade and the auditorium considerably, changing the appearance of the theatre with respect to the New Objectivity of the 1920s, but also in line with the prevailing monumental architectural trend of National Socialism. A government box was incorporated. The sculptors Paul Scheurich and Karl Nocke and the painter Albert Birkle were involved in the conversion. The theatre was destroyed in an air strike on November 23, 1943. From 1950 to 1951, it was rebuilt for the city of Berlin according to plans by the architects Heinz Völker and Rolf Grosse.

Wittenbergplatz, then and now. Roger Moorhouse (85) writes how 
The primary indicators of the shortages were the rows of empty shelves that were often to be seen in Berlin’s shops. Though this was a problem throughout the city, it was perhaps most remarkable in the expensive department stores in the city centre. As well as a shortage of foodstuffs, Berlin suffered serious shortages of just about everything else, from material goods to consumables and toys. One shopper, for instance, complained after searching for two hours to find something of use in the elite Ka-De-We store on Wittenberg Platz: ‘That big barn is empty’, he said. ‘It is a feat of skill to get rid of fifty pfennigs on all seven floors.’
Berlin at War
Site of Reichpost TV Studios 1935 - 1938
The Nazi eagle remains, dated, above the entrance.
See: Television Under The Swastika (English Version)
Recently uncovered footage, long buried in East German archives, confirms that television's first revolution occurred under the Third Reich. From 1935 to 1944, Berlin studios churned out the world's first regular TV programming, replete with the evening news, street interviews, sports coverage, racial programs, and interviews with Nazi officials. Select audiences, gathered in television parlours across Germany, numbered in the thousands; plans to create a mass viewing public, through the distribution of 10,000 people's television sets, were upended by World War Two. German technicians achieved remarkable breakthroughs in televising live events, including near instantaneous broadcasts of the 1936 Olympic Games. At the same time, the demand for continuous programming opened up camera opportunities far less controlled, and more candidly revealing, than Third Reich propagandists would have liked (an interview with a bumbling Robert Ley is particularly embarrassing). In its stated mission - to imprint the image of the Führer onto every German heart - Nazi television proved a major disappointment. But its surviving footage - 285 rolls have been found so far offers an intriguing new window onto Hitler's Germany.
 Samariterstraße and Rigaerstraße in Friedrichshain in 1945 and today, still recognisable. When the Nazis came to power in 1933, the district was renamed Horst-Wessel-Stadt after the Nazi activist and writer of the Nazi hymn whose slow death, after being shot by communists, in Friedrichshain hospital (shown below) in 1930 was turned into a propaganda event by Joseph Goebbels. During the war Friedrichshain was actually one of the most badly damaged parts of Berlin, as Allied strategic bombers specifically targeted its industries. As late as the nineties, some buildings still displayed bullet holes from the intense house to house fighting during the Battle of Berlin. After the war ended, the boundary between the American and Soviet occupation sectors ran between Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg, with Friedrichshain in the east and Kreuzberg in the west. This became a sealed border between East and West Berlin when the Berlin Wall was built in 1961.
Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels at Horst Wessel's grave January 22, 1933.
Hitler had planned a major demonstration for the 22nd of January in memory of the late Kampfhed (fight song) composer and SA Sturmführer Horst Wessel, which was to impress upon the Reich capital that his fighting formations, the SA and the SS, were so strong and fear- inspiring that they could march unhindered through the ‘red’ quarters of Berlin, past the Karl Liebknecht Haus (the Communist headquarters) and across the Bülowplatz.
Everything went according to schedule. There were no serious disruptions to the rank and file of the 35,000 SA men marching through the streets. Following the parade, a memorial ceremony was held at Horst Wessel’s grave at the Nikolai Cemetery, where Hitler made the following remarks:
Every Volk which struggles to the fore from utter misery and defeat to cleanse and liberate itself also produces vocalists who are able to put into words what the masses bear in their innermost hearts. It is thus that the powerful Volksbewegung, the Movement of Germany, has also found the voice able to express what the men in rank feel. With his song, which is sung by millions today, Horst Wessel has erected a monument to himself in ongoing history which shall prevail longer than stone and bronze.
Even after centuries have passed, even when not a stone is left standing in this great city of Berlin, one will be mindful of the greatest German liberation movement and its vocalist.
Comrades, raise the flags. Horst Wessel, who lies under this stone, is not dead. Every day and every hour his spirit is with us, marching in our ranks. 
Donarus (219-220) The Complete Hitler
Today the grave at St. Nikolai-Friedhof in Berlin-Friedrichshain is slowly disintegrating. The grave here is shown alternately honoured and desecrated on the 70th anniversary of his murder in 2010.
Wessel's song, the melody of which was possibly taken from Etienne Nicolas Méhul's opera Joseph or from the naval song Königsberg-Lied, became the co-national anthem of Germany along with the first stanza of Deutschlandlied. The song was first performed at Wessel's funeral. Banned in Germany, it can be heard by clicking here.

The Städtische Krankenhaus am Friedrichshain, the hospital where Horst Wessel succumbed to his injuries and received the status of Nazi martyr in February 1930. When the Nazis took power, it was renamed in October 1933 the Horst-Wessel-Krankenhaus.

Horst Wessel Platz has since been renamed Rosa Luxemburg Platz.

Himmler, Heydrich, Daluege, and Adolf Hühnlein at a memorial ceremony on German Police Day at Horst Wessel Platz on January 16, 1937
The picture painted by Himmler and leading SS functionaries of the police, and above all of the Gestapo, was sometimes underlined by such threatening gestures, but sometimes by the assurance that normal citizens had nothing to fear, that they would be treated fairly and justly and, moreover, that the pursuit of opponents was being carried out in accordance with purely objective considerations. Himmler summed up this ambivalent public representation in his speech on the occasion of the 1937 German Police Day in the following formula: "tough and implacable where necessary, understanding and generous where possible."
Longerich (209) Heinrich Himmler: A Life 

On the same square was the Karl Liebknecht house, party headquarters of the German Communist Party (KPD) between 1926 and 1933, shown here in 1932. It carried the names of a joint founders of the KPD who were murdered on January 15, 1919 by members of the free corps. The building itself was built in 1910 on behalf of the manufacturer Rudolph Werth as an office building in the then Scheunenviertel. After the Communist Party acquired the house in November 1926, it was named after Karl Liebknecht - the co-founder of the KPD murdered in January 1919 in the course of the November Revolution. Before 1926 the party had its seat on the Hackescher Markt on Rosenthalerstraße. After it was acquired by the KPD it served as the office the Central Committee of the KPD, the KPD district leadership Berlin-Brandenburg-Lausitz-Grenzmark, the editorial offices of the KPD newspaper The Red Flag, a bookstore, the Central Committee of the Communist Youth Association of Germany, a shop for uniforms of the Red Front Fighter Association and a printing house. During that time it was the party leadership offices of Ernst Thalmann, Wilhelm Pieck, Walter Ulbricht and Herbert Wehner. Here too artists such as John Heartfield and Max Gebhard had their studios. On August 9, 1931 KPD members murdered two police officers in the immediate vicinity of the house. These murders on Bülowplatz resulted in the several-day occupation and an unsuccessful search of the party headquarters by the police.
Nazis marching past on the way to a memorial for the death of Horst Wessel 1933. The Political Police raided the Karl Liebknecht House again in February 1933 and it was finally closed on February 26.
On February 24, Goering’s police raided the Karl Liebknecht Haus, the Communist headquarters in Berlin. It had been abandoned some weeks before by the Communist leaders, a number of whom had already gone underground or quietly slipped off to Russia. But piles of propaganda pamphlets had been left in the cellar and these were enough to enable Goering to announce in an official communique that the seized ”documents” proved that the Communists were about to launch the revolution. The reaction of the public and even of some of the conservatives in the government was one of skepticism. It was obvious that something more sensational must be found to stampede the public before the election took place on March 5.
The SA occupied the building on 8 March 1933 and renamed it Horst-Wessel- Haus . It used it until the summer of 1933 as a "wild" concentration camp for the terrorisation of Nazi opponents. The communist party was outlawed and its members killed or sent to the concentration camps. The Gestapo found during a search on November 15, 1933 two hiding places in the building, which had remained undetected in the previous searches. In addition to two light machine guns, they contained sixteen additional firearms with ammunition as well as a large number of files of the party leadership with information on officials such as CVs, addresses and usage. The findings were probably based on information from the arrested Alfred Kattner , who had belonged to Thälmann's inner circle. In 1935 the new entrance hall was designed as a memorial room for Wessel. As of January 1937, the Horst-Wessel-Haus was the seat of the SA group Berlin-Brandenburg.
During the Battle of Berlin at the end of the Second World War, the building was partially destroyed although the load-bearing structure of the building remained essentially intact. In December 1947 the Soviet occupying power handed over the confiscated building of the 1946 founded by the KPD "foundation society". From 1949 it was rebuilt on the decision of the SED leadership with minor façade alterations and extended by one floor with the work largely completed on Josef Stalin's 71st birthday in December 1950. Initially, the building was occupied by the central offices of the SED, whose leadership was held in the nearby "House of Unity", and later by the " Institute for Marxism-Leninism at the Central Committee of the SED" as an office and guesthouse.  Today the building houses the federal and Berlin regional office of the party Die Linke. At the front of the building close to the main entrance are three different memorial plaques, two of which date from the DDR era and highlight the communist past of the house including  a commemorative plaque for former KPD chairman Thälmann and another proclaiming Karl Liebknecht House was where "In this building in the years 1926 to 1933 the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Germany worked."  In addition, a commemorative plaque for the left victims of Stalinist terror at the Karl Liebknecht House was unveiled on December 17, 2013 which reads "To the honourable memory of thousands of German communists, anti-fascists and anti-fascists who were arbitrarily persecuted, deprived of their rights, deported to prison camps, exiled for decades and murdered in the Soviet Union between the 1930s and the 1950s."  In a further commemoration, a representative room in the house bears the name Rosa-Luxemburg-Saal .

The Volksbühne and the Kino Babylon in 1929 and today. Of the former, a commentator for the British Union of Fascists in the organisation's newsletter Blackshirt for January 30, 1937 wrote how he had been particularly impressed by the way the the People’s Stage put on plays at affordable prices.
Berlin patrol and Nazi auxiliary police in a search of the Jewish quarter in the Grenadierstraße and Dragonerstraße Spring 1933. The right shows another street in the Scheunenviertel down the Grenadier Schendelgasse towards the Schonhauserstrasse. Scheunenviertel refers to a neighbourhood of Mitte in the centre of Berlin to the north of the medieval Altberlin area, east of the Rosenthaler Straße and Hackescher Markt. Until the Second World War it was regarded as a slum district and had a substantial Jewish population with a high proportion of migrants from Eastern Europe. Since then the core of the neighborhood is the triangular Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz, former Bülowplatz, where on August 9, 1931 the Communist and later Stasi Executive Erich Mielke shot two police officers. Mielke fled to Moscow shortly afterwards and did not face trial for the murders until 1992. Although Scheunenviertel is often used as a synonym for Berlin's Jewish quarter, Jewish cultural and commercial life was rather centred on the neighbouring Spandauer Vorstadt, where the New Synagogue and other Jewish establishments are located.
 The Europahaus in 1936 (as the Europa Palast), post-war and today, the Deutschlandhaus, on today's Stresemannstraße.

Gasthaus Zum Nußbaum
This was the site of a mythic political battle for Berlin in 1929, when Horst Wessel and his SA Troop ventured into the heart of the Communist stronghold of the Fischerkietz district. It was here at the Zum Nußbaum that Wessel forced a crowd of Communists to step aside, allowing him to declare the  area free of the "Red Menace." The walnut tree which originally stood at Fischerstraße 21 was destroyed in an allied bombing attack in 1943. 

Anhalter Bahnhof
Anhalter Bahnhof
It was at this station that saw Hitler return to Berlin from his crushing defeat of France. As Kershaw described the scene,
[t]he reception awaiting Hitler in Berlin when his train pulled into the Anhalter-Bahnhof at three o’clock on 6 July surpassed even the homecomings after the great pre-war triumphs like the Anschluß. Many in the crowds had been standing for six hours as the dull morning gave way to the brilliant sunshine of the afternoon. The streets were strewn with flowers all the way from the station to the Reich Chancellery. Hundreds of thousands cheered themselves hoarse. Hitler, lauded by Keitel as ‘the greatest warlord of all time’, was called out time after time on to the balcony to soak up the wild adulation of the masses. ‘If an increase in feeling for Adolf Hitler was still possible, it has become reality with the day of the return to Berlin,’ commented one report from the provinces. In the face of such ‘greatness’, ran another, ‘all pettiness and grumbling are silenced’. Even opponents of the regime found it hard to resist the victory mood. Workers in the armaments factories pressed to be allowed to join the army. People thought final victory was around the corner. Only Britain stood in the way.
During the Second World War the Anhalter Bahnhof was one of three stations used to deport some 55,000 Berlin Jews between 1941 and 1945, about a third of the city's entire Jewish population (as of 1933). From the Anhalter alone 9,600 left, in groups of 50 to 100 at a time using 116 trains. In contrast to other deportations using freight wagons, here the Jews were taken away in ordinary passenger coaches which were coupled up to regular trains departing according to the normal timetable. All deportations went to Theresienstadt and from there to the death camps.
The station after the war

Nearby is what had been one of the largest refuges in Berlin, the Anhalter Bahnhof bunker, completed in 1943, with walls 2.10 metres in thickness next to the main station.
Built in ferro-concrete, with three storeys above ground and two below, its walls were up to four and a half metres thick. Pine seats and tables had been provided by the authorities, as well as emergency supplies of tinned sardines, but neither lasted long when both fuel and food were in such short supply. The Anhalter bunker's great advantage was its direct link to the U-Bahn tunnels, even though the trains were not running. People could walk the five kilometres to the Nordbahnhof, without ever being exposed.
The conditions in the bunker became appalling, with up to 12,000 people crammed into 3,6oo square metres. The crush was so great that nobody could have reached the lavatory even if it had been open. One woman described how she spent six days on the same step. For hygienic Germans, it was a great ordeal, but with water supplies cut, drinking water was a far higher priority. There was a pump which still worked outside the station, and young women near the entrance took the risk of running with a pail to fetch water. Many were killed, because the station was a prime target for Soviet artillery. But those who made it back alive earned eternal gratitude from those too weak to fetch it for themselves, or they bartered sips for food from those who lacked the courage to run the gauntlet themselves.
Antony Beevor (280-281) Berlin: The Downfall 1945
Alexanderplatz Bahnhof
Alexanderplatz had been the home of the Alexander-Palast on Landsbergstrasse 39 from 1921‑1930 where monthly Transvestite Balls had been held, as well as separate lesbian nights.
Alexanderplatz station Alexanderplatz station opened on  February 7, 1882. In 1926 the station hall spanning two platforms with four tracks was rebuilt in its present plain style. Heavily damaged during the war as shown here, train service at the station was resumed on 4 November 1945, whilst the reconstruction of the hall continued until 1951. Beevor (348) writes of "stories, mainly the product of German paranoia, that T-34s were driven into railway tunnels to emerge behind their lines. The only genuine case of an underground tank, however, appears to be that of an unfortunate T-34 driver who failed to spot the entrance of the Alexanderplatz U-Bahn station and charged down the stairs. Stories of light artillery bumped down station stairs, step by step, and manhandled on to the tracks also owe more to folklore than to fact."

Race and Settlement Main Office of the ϟϟ
On this street was located the Race and Settlement Main Office of the ϟϟ (Rasse-und Siedlungshauptamt, RuSHA), the Nazi office that dealt with racial matters. Established in 1931, RuSHA was designated as an ϟϟ Main Office in 1935. The office's tasks included doing research and providing instruction on race issues, including special training courses for elite Nazi groups; making sure that ϟϟ men and their wives were racially pure; carrying out the resettlement of ϟϟ men in Nazi-occupied countries as part of the global Nazi plan for expanding the German Reich throughout Europe; and encouraging them to settle on farm lands near cities. RuSHA's staff included many determined and industrious young men who either had medical or some other professional eligibility. Some were later promoted to senior ϟϟ positions.
The RuSHA began evicting landowners from their homes and settling Germans in their place in mid-1939. RuSHA offices established in the parts of Poland annexed to the Reich were in charge of confiscated Jewish- and Polish- owned land. In 1940 RuSHA came up with the plan to "Germanise" Poles who had the appropriate racial qualities. Possible candidates were screened and interviewed by "race experts and qualifications examiners." These experts also checked out the racial authenticity of Poles who registered themselves as "ethnic Germans" (Volksdeutsche). In addition, RuSHA made plans to "Germanise" the Ukrainian people. The bombing raid on Berlin on February 3, 1945 destroyed almost all buildings in the Hedemannstraße and in the southern Friedrichstrasse. 
Der Angriff
Next door had been where Goebbels as Gauleiter founded the weekly Nazi battle sheet Der Angriff in 1930. Also with offices here were the party house management of the Hitler Youth and the Gau-Rundfunkstelle broadcasting site. 
Goebbels, whether the party was under ban for short periods or not, began to spread the party message through Der Angriff (“The Attack”) where he simply put his stump speeches on paper. It is in this paper that one can find the clearest exposition of where Nazism stood on the Weimar Republic. In Goebbels’ thinking: “We are an anti-parliamentary party and we reject for good reason the Weimar Republic.... We go into the Reichstag in order to obtain the weapons of democracy.... We become Reichstag deputies in order to paralyze the Weimar mentality with its own help.” 
    Oberbaum Bridge
The Oberbaum Bridge after the war, and today. In April 1945 the Wehrmacht blew up the middle section of the bridge in an attempt to stop the Red Army from crossing it. After the war ended, Berlin was divided into four sectors. The Oberbaum Bridge crossed between the American and Soviet sectors. Until the mid-1950s, pedestrians, motor vehicles, and the city tramway were able to cross the bridge without difficulty. Border crossing East German checkpoint at the Oberbaum Bridge. Crowds at Oberbaumbrücke after the breach of the Berlin Wall in November 1989. When the Berlin Wall was built in 1961 the bridge became part of East Berlin's border with West Berlin; as all the waters of the River Spree were in Friedrichshain, the East German fortifications extended to the shoreline on the Kreuzberg side. The West Berlin U-Bahn line was forced to terminate at Schlesisches Tor. Beginning on December 21 1963, the Oberbaum Bridge was used as a pedestrian border crossing for West Berlin residents only. After the opening of the Wall in 1989, and German reunification the following year, the bridge was restored to its former appearance, albeit with a new steel middle section designed by the Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava. It opened to pedestrians and traffic on November 9 1994, the fifth anniversary of the opening of the Berlin Wall.

 Schloss Bellevue- The Presidential Palace
From Berlin in Bildern, published 1938, and today. Hitler had used the building as the site for the museum of ethnography, before being renovated as a guest house for the Nazi government in 1938. In that year Paul Otto August Baumgarten transformed the guesthouse so that in the process the two entrances, which are now known as arched windows of the side elevation, were walled in and the present middle entrance with the free staircase was created.It was the residence of actor, director and general director of the Prussian State Theatre, Gustaf Gründgens, until the end of the war.  On May 31 1931, Hitler toured the Bellevue Castle which had by then been transformed into an official guest house for prominent foreigners hosted by the Third Reich. Professor Baumgartner had supervised the refurbishing of the facilities. Hitler displayed particular interest in the rooms assigned to foreign dignitaries. In spite of his ambitious intentions, these rooms were destined to serve only a second- rate clientèle, insignificant politicians from the various Balkan states, because of the increasing isolation of Germany internationally.
During the war it was severely damaged by strategic bombing as early as April 1941 and during the Battle of Berlin, after which it was refurbished substantially from 1954 to 1959 by the architect Carl-Heinz Schwennicke as the seat of the Federal President of the Federal Republic of Germany. From the West German point of view, a seat of office was possible in spite of the four-power status of the city in accordance with Article 23 of the Basic Law. From the time of its creation, only the ball hall designed by the architect Carl Gotthard Langhans remained in the upper floor of the castle. The renovation in the style of the 1950s was mocked because of its ahistorical additions and conversions as a "mixture of film star sanatorium and ice cream parlor" and has for its part largely given way to numerous further renovations.
The Presidential Palace in March 1941 during the visit of the Japanese Foreign Minister in Berlin. The photo on the extreme right shows German First Lady Bettina Wulff apparently giving the Hitler salute from the steps. Franc Rennicke, a member of the far right NPD party who made an unsuccessful bid to become president himself earlier in 2010, sent the photo to prosecutors. “For decades the so-called German greeting has been outlawed and thousands of people have been taken to court for making it,“ wrote Rennicke. “The photo of her outside Schloss Bellevue in Berlin clearly shows her making this banned gesture.“ 
Hitler inspecting a guard of honour shortly after assuming full power in 1934 and Cardinal Eugenio Pacelli, the future Pope Pius XII, leaving the presidential palace on the right after meeting with Hitler in March 1939.
 Mehringdamm, then Belle Alliance Straße 
The Heereswaffenmeisterschule dating 1935 at Treptower Park then and now

The Metropole is all that remains at Nollendorfplatz. The theatre saw its most significant era from 1927 to 1931 when Erwin Piscator staged his revolutionary theatrical productions with state-of-the-art stage technology. Today, only the magnificent front building featuring the foyer areas remain; the actual stage construction with its rear and side stage areas as well as the wardrobes fell victim to the bombs. One after the other, the building was used as a theatre, operetta stage, cinema, variety, discotheque and as a food and dance club. It was last renamed Goya and was used for gala-events before being closed in May 2014. During the Second World War Nollendorfplatz and its surrounding buildings suffered serious damage during the British and American air raids and the Battle of Berlin. The destroyed buildings were replaced by new buildings without any overall concept, with the square itself expanded in the interests of traffic.

 The gay club Eldorado on Motzstraße, shown here in 1932 and today, was internationally known for its transvestite shows. There was also a relatively high number of places for lesbians. 
It regularly featured then up-and-coming star Marlene Dietrich who would eventually leave Germany when the Nazis came to power. After Hitler's regime took control, all gay and lesbian bars and meeting places in Germany were closed. Magnus Hirschfeld’s Institute for Sexual Science was sacked in 1933 by the Nazis and his books were burned. Despite the large numbr of homosexuals in its ranks, the Nazis enforced Paragraph 175 of the Penal Code making it punishable just to glance at someone of the same sex too intensively. Gay people lived in fear of being denounced by other people, and the police conducted raids, arrested gays, and sent them to concentration camps. Within a few weeks after the Nazis took over government in 1933, fourteen of the best known gay establishments were closed. Today the part of Motzstraße between Nollendorfplatz and Martin-Luther-Straße is considered the centre of Berlin's gay area and the location for the Berlin's Lesbian and Gay City Festival held every June on the weekend before the Gay Pride celebrations in Berlin.
This church, built in 1929 in the Bauhaus style, comes complete with interior decoration from the Third Reich although there are bare patches where swastikas, illegal in Germany since 1945 have been ripped out. There is an image of a Nazi storm trooper side by side with Jesus Christ carved into the pulpit, the entrance is lit by a chandelier in the shape of an iron cross and the organ was used to stir the spirits at a torch-lit Nuremberg rally.
“There was a bust of Adolf Hitler in the nave,” Isolde Boehm, dean of the church, said. “A carved face of Hitler has been replaced by one of Martin Luther. There is even a rumour that the church was supposed to be called the Adolf Hitler Church.”
There is no other church in Germany so obviously from the Third Reich era. In the 1930s two thirds of the parish of Martin Luther Memorial were Nazi Party members. Their babies were baptised in a wooden font, which still bears the image of a storm trooper, and they married to music played by an organ that helped to create the dark atmosphere of the Nuremberg rallies. In 1932 the Protestant church came under the influence of a Nazi movement called the "German Christians" -- called "stormtroopers of Jesus," by the group's leader and founder Rev. Joachim Hossenfelder. In 1933 Hitler forced regional Protestant churches to merge into the Protestant Reich Church which, based on Nazi ideas of “positive Christianity”, portrayed Jesus as an “Aryan” and eliminated the Old Testament.
During the war Alfred Rosenberg conceived a new National Reich Church which would replace the Bible with Mein Kampf. Until 1942 bells embossed with the swastika called the Nazi faithful to church on Sundays. Then the bells were melted down and made into cannon.
Parishioners and priests are trying to raise the €3.5 million (about $US4.2 million) needed to rescue the church from collapse. Sources: Der Spiegel and The Times on Line
Baptismal font with carving of man wearing uniform coat and holding cap of Hitler's paramilitary SA and chandelier in the shape of an iron cross complete with oak leaves hangs in the entrance hall.
Arch with stone carvings of helmeted stormtroopers whilst the encircled swastikas on the top left panel and the right surmounted by the Nazi eagle have been erased

Wooden frieze carved into the side of the pulpit depicting Jesus standing next to a helmeted German soldier and Aryan women and children.

Heavy Load Testing Body
The heavy load testing body was constructed to examine the weight-bearing capacity of the below the surface soil for the Nazis planned monumental structures, especially for the triumphal arch.

 The Berlin Messe is an exhibition hall Goebbels had built in 1936-37. The swastikas returned in 2007 to accommodate Tom Cruise's movie Valkyrie.
Then and now
Amongst the 26 halls covering 160.000 m² is the Deutschlandhalle
The Deutschlandhalle is an arena in the West-end neighbourhood of Berlin, inaugurated on 29 November 1935 by Adolf Hitler. It was built primarily for the 1936 Summer Olympics when the boxing, weightlifting and wrestling competitions took place here. Hitler spoke to 20,000 volunteers here at the opening rally of the Winterhilfswerk Winter Relief Project on October 5, 1937. Heavily damaged by air raids in 1943, the Deutschlandhalle was rebuilt after World War II and since 1957 has served as a multi purpose arena and sports venue, in the last years primarily for ice hockey, but also for indoor soccer and again for boxing. 
The interaction between leaders and people had secured that, particularly in times of anxiety, National Socialists could appeal to the people in order to receive from it their new marching orders. 
From Hitler's speech at the dedication of the Deutschlandhalle, 29th November, 1935
It was here that, on 19 February 1938, test pilot Hanna Reitsch demonstrated the first indoor flight in the arena with a Focke-Wulf Fw 61 helicopter. The photo on the right shows the model at the Deutsches Museum in Munich with swastika painted over.

Standing outside the site where the war officially ended.

Zhukov found a two‐storey building at Karlshorst in eastern Berlin that had once housed the canteen of the German military engineering school. There, at a little before midnight on May 8, the Allied representatives gathered. New surrender documents had been drawn up in Moscow and hurriedly brought there by Vyshinsky, the chief prosecutor at the Moscow trials in the 1930s, who had become deputy minister for foreign affairs. Hours were spent trying to reconcile Soviet and Western versions. The text was typed and re‐typed on a small portable machine by candlelight, following an electric power failure. At last, exactly at the stroke of midnight, Zhukov led the representatives of the other Allied powers, Air Chief Marshal Arthur Tedder, General Carl Spaatz and General de Lattre de Tassigny, into the hall. They sat at a long green table, and the German military leaders were ushered in, led by Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel, Hitler’s headquarters chief of staff. Keitel struggled to maintain his dignity. His face was blotchy and red, his hand shook. As he walked to the table to sign the surrender his monocle dropped from his eye and dangled by its cord. He had, Zhukov later recalled, ‘a beaten look’, though other witnesses thought the Germans ‘arrogant and dignified’. At exactly forty‐three minutes past midnight the ceremony was complete. Zhukov made what Stalin regarded as a dull speech for such an historic day, then hosted a night‐long banquet, which ended with the Soviet generals, including Zhukov, dancing in the tradition of their country. 
Overy (277) Russia's War

The former entrance to the Flakregiment at Reinickendorf Heiligensee showing the Luftwaffe eagle on the façade.
The hospital at Danziger Straße 64 on Prenzlauer Berg was originally the Reichsluftschutzschule

Continue on to Sites outside central Berlin